8.02.2005

Psalm 1 - Portrait of a Christian

Have you ever observed someone who acts in an inappropriate way toward others? I came across one of these instances today. I was behind someone in a drive-thru who was yelling at the worker inside the restaurant. After quite a verbal battle, the lady inside handed the man his money back and he angrily drove away. With a fish sticker on the back of his car.

As a Christian, it is my duty to be a representation of the Christian faith in my daily life. This is the hardest task that a Christian must take. By the sticker on the car, this man (or at least the owner of the car) was also claiming to be a Christian.

Now, I have experienced poor customer service. Many times, in fact. Out of these experiences, there have been many times that I would love to just yell at someone to get my way. Observing this man made me take a look at myself. How many time do I react in anger? How many times do I drive agressively when I am trying to get somewhere on time? And how many times to those around me during these types of situations see the fish on my own car?

It is a long and difficult process to build a credible witness to others. However, it only takes a small word, expression or deed done without thinking to destroy that credibility. And yes, if people know that you are a Christian, you can rest assured that your actions are being watched.

Psalm 1:1-3 accutely describes the character of a Christian. We are to separate ourselves from sin, delight in the LORD and stand firm in our faith. So if we strive for this, what is the reward? See Psalm 1:6.

No comments: